The situation differs according to the date of installation in the United Kingdom.
- The person was already settled in the UK before the end of the transition period (December 31, 2020) :
In this case, if the person has taken the steps to obtain a resident status (“settled” or “presettled status”) before June 30, 2021, no work permit is required.
- The person moved to the UK after the transition period (after 31 December 2021) or wishes to move there :
Since January 1, 2021, to work in the United Kingdom, a visa is, in the majority of cases, necessary.
The type of visa differs according to :
- The duration of the contract;
- The employment sector;
- The nature of the job; and
- The qualification level of the applicant.
Generally, to obtain a work visa, one must :
- Hold an eligible job;
- Have a confirmed job offer from a UK government approved employer;
- Receive a minimum wage (defined according to the type of work); and
- Justify the level of proficiency in the English language.
Initially, the procedure is carried out online (on the British government website). However, it is possible to be summoned to a visa center afterwards.
The procedure is chargeable.
1. The person plans to work in the UK for a period of 6 months or less :
It is not necessary to have a visa if :
- The person is invited as an expert in his profession;
- The person is visiting in connection with certain business or academic activities but is not working in the UK.
On the other hand, it is necessary to have a visa if the person wishes to carry out paid work in the United Kingdom.
1. The person plans to work in the UK for a period longer than 6 months :
In this case, a visa is required.
The type of visa, the eligibility criteria and the duration of the visa differ according to the professional field concerned.
The areas are as follows :
- Health professional;
- Digital professional;
- Academic or researcher;
- Field of arts and culture;
- Professional athlete;
- Business creation;
Work visas allow you to stay in the territory from 1 to 5 years, some are renewable.
Sometimes it is also possible, after a certain period, to be eligible to apply to settle in the UK.
UK Government, ‘Check if you need a UK visa’ (gov.uk) < https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa>.
Lawfirm Cabinet BRAHIN
Nicolas BRAHINI Lawyer
Master’s Degree in Banking and Financial Law
E-mail : email@example.com
1, Rue Louis Gassin 06300 NICE (FRANCE)
Phone : +33 493 830 876 / Fax : +33 493 181 437